Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I'mma Let You Finish But...


I love Kanye West. I don't care how much of an asshole he is, how many times he says George Bush hates black people, how stupidly he cuts his hair, how often he throws a temper tantrum over not winning an award, how many times he interrupts Taylor Swift, how many ridiculous pairs of sunglasses he wears, or how often he appears on a magazine cover on a cross with a crown of thorns a la Jesus. I love this guy. And I love his new album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, just as much. I downloaded it (don't worry, it was on iTunes, everything is on the up and up) the day it came out but with packing and work and life in general I kept not having a chance to listen to it. Today though, that changed. I burned the album to a disc this afternoon before leaving to run an errand. I was craving some new music in my car so I figured this would be something different if not good.

I am in love.

I mean come on, this guy can rap about Steve Urkel and fish sticks and it's still amazing. He even mentions his proclivity to use stringed instruments in his music to emphasize the drama and then he has a whole stringed instrumental interlude! It's hilarious and awesome all at once. And of course there's some Jay-Z on this album which just adds to it being great.

If you haven't listened to this album and you are at all into rap you need to. I've currently got this track on repeat, the video being shown is not a music video but a clip of the short film titled Runaway that Kanye directed and stars in that comes with the album.





And come on, Beyonce really should have won.

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to listen to it -- I haven't gotten it yet with all of the holiday this and that. And I totally agree, I don't really care about all the crazy stuff he does, as long as the music continues to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen him in concert three times, and they were all amazing. This album continues to make me love him more, crazy/jerk that he is. He's hugely talented and people with lots of talent tend to be crazy!

    And honestly, he really is a bit of a scapegoat for the media. Interrupting an awards acceptance speech isn't even that bad! And it was the MTV awards, not the Grammy's! Geez, people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I'm not alone! Liz, I am dying to see him live. His last tour I sort of wanted to see him but decided I could live without it but after hearing this album I immediately tried to find some, any, kind of information about when he plans to tour.

    And I agree, If you watch the clip when he interrupted Taylor they cut to Beyonce and she's stunned but also you can see this little smile on her face. I feel like Kanye's that crazy friend who does shit that you sort of can't believe happened but is hilarious. It's just not always hilarious for the other people involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that upset me the most about the Taylor Swift incident is that it cause the Kanye West/Lady Gaga co-headlining tour to be cancelled, which really, really bummed me out. They're both so over the top that I can't even imagine what a joint tour would have been like.

    ReplyDelete