Thursday, July 8, 2010

High Violet by The National


A friend once made me a mix CD and I complained about one of the songs on it. It was painfully sad. It made my heart break to listen to it. He responded to my grievance by saying "People search their whole lives for the saddest song in the world."

That's sort of how I feel about this album. Like I've maybe just found the most despondent album ever to have been made. But at the same time you want more. You want to just absorb it all and relish in the minor swells and find refuge in Matt Berninger's voice.

My one complaint is that this album is over too soon. At just over 47 minutes it finishes before you've had enough but isn't really long enough to want to listen to on repeat without feeling like, well, you're listening to it on repeat. I still very much recommend it though. I mean, how much can you fault an album for being so good you want it to be longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment