Thursday, August 5, 2010

Music I am Loving

After spending a week at Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls and hearing not only all the awesome campers but also the bands that came to play at lunch every day I was in need of an influx of new music to my library. You know when your self just craves creativity or air or whatever it is that makes you feel good? That's what this was. This was no casual want, this was a bona fide need.

Magic vs. The Machine, Nextdoor Neighbors



There was a band that played at camp one day called Nextdoor Neighbors. It's made up of two local girls and is a keyboard/electronic band. I swear, as soon as I heard them I knew I needed to hear more. I stood around awkwardly hovering waiting for all the kids to be done getting autographs so I could ask if they had an album for sale. They didn't have one with them so that very evening I went to a local music store here, Music Millenium. They didn't carry it either so I ended up purchasing it on iTunes. I've been listening to it over and over with only brief breaks for the rest of these albums.

Mines, Menomena



While I was at Music Millenium I saw Menomena had a new album. This is a local band as well but they're fairly well known in places other than Portland as well. I can't even explain how amazing this band and this album is. It's melancholic and achingly beautiful without being depressing. And every single track is perfect.

She & Him



So, pretty much everyone knows about She & Him. If not, it's Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. Zooey sounds pretty much the same as she did in Elf, 500 days of Summer, and that Cotton commercial. Together they have a very sweet 50s sound that makes me want to dress like a Stepford wife and go dancing in between martinis and playing with my pearls. Their first album was wonderful and this one doesn't disappoint either.

Witching Hour, Ladytron



The other day I was getting frozen yogurt at this place I love but for some reason is always playing rave music. I seriously don't get it. There are always different people there so I don't think it's their choice but I'm not sure what the company is trying to achieve with their music selection because it doesn't sound cool, it just sounds way too intense for frozen yogurt.

Anyways, I heard a Ladytron song and I know this album isn't anywhere close to new or current but I forgot how much I like it. I started listening to it in my car and it's upbeat without being too electronic, which is a thing.

1 comment:

  1. You are the music queen! Always know the great new secret albums. Thank you!

    ~Darleya~

    ReplyDelete