Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Quiche. With Brie. Oh yes I did!


I made quiche last night. Quiche is one of those things I crave. I just love it. Unfortunately I love it because it is a pie made of cheese and cream so you know, one of those special treat foods unless I want to die of a heart attack at 25.

I pretty much always put the same veggies in my quiche. Zucchini, red peppers, and crimini mushrooms. I also use Gruyere because it makes the most fantastic quiche ever. My mom used to make quiche with swiss cheese and it wasn't terrible but it was weird. I made quiche with gruyere for a friend's bridal shower once years ago and I've never looked back. Yesterday though I was at the store and looking at cheeses (I like cheese okay?) and saw some triple cream brie and decided I needed to put it in the quiche I was planning to make. I figured it would either be the most amazing thing ever or a total disaster containing $20 worth of cheese. So, I put in a bunch of gruyere, the brie (sans rind obviously), sauteed zucchini, red pepper, shallots, and mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, eggs, milk, and cream and hoped for the best.

Quiche is like cheesecake in that you aren't supposed to brown the top and it's supposed to finish cooking while it's sitting out of the oven. Unfortunately I always, without fail, brown the top of the quiche a bit. It still always tastes great so I'm not too worried about it but I guess if I ever decide to enter a quiche baking competition I should figure that whole thing out.

Even though technically I didn't do the quiche correctly with the whole browning thing it was incredible. I've never made such a light and fluffy quiche. And it was seasoned perfectly. I also made a side dish of roasted red potatoes and green beans with leeks and rosemary. Sometimes I get busy and I forget how happy cooking makes me. I came home yesterday and just cooked for an hour and a half and it felt so wonderful. I ended up making extra of everything to bring to my boss' family too. Then Craig came over and we had wonderful food and watched the Glee finale.

It was a pretty good night if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment